There are some wonderful cities and towns throughout North Yorkshire which are well worth a visit, the seaside town of Scarborough, the port town of Whitby, the former fishing town of Filey, the historic, walled city of York, the market town of Helmsley, the bustling town of Pickering, along with the more quaint, market town of Kirkbymoorside.
North Yorkshire boasts many historic homes and gardens which you could plan to visit and enjoy.
- Nunnington Hall – Near York, YO62 5UY. Tel: 01439 748283
- Rievaulx Terraces – York, YO62 5LJ. Tel: 01439 748283
- Beningbrough Hall – York, YO30 1DD. Tel: 01904 472027
- Byland Abbey – Coxwold, YO61 4BD. Tel: 0370 333 1181
- Castle Howard – York, YO60 7DA. Tel: 01653 648333
- Duncombe Park – Helmsley, YO62 5EB. Tel: 0844 7422035
- Bowes Castle – County Durham, DL12 9LG. Tel: 0370 333 1181
- Richmond Castle – Richmond, DL10 4QW. Tel: 0370 333 1181
- Raby Castle – County Durham, DL2 3AH. Tel: 01833 660202
- Abbey ruins of Eggleston and Easby. Tel: 0370 333 1181
- Scampston Hall – Malton, YO17 8NG. Tel: 01944 759111
- Jorvik Viking Centre – York, YO1 9WT. Tel: 01904 615505
- National Railway Museum – York, YO26 4XJ. Tel: 0844 815 3139
- Eden Camp Museum, – Malton, YO17 6RT. Tel: Tel: 01653 697777
- Monk Park Farm offers a children’s farm and farm visitor centre – Thirsk, YO7 2AG. Tel: 01845 597730
- Thorp Perrow Arboretum – Bedale, DL8 2PS. Tel: 01677 425323
- Feversham Arms verbena spa– Helmsley, York, YO62. Tel: 01439 770766
- Dalby Forest, walking and bike trails as well as an Activity Centre, Adventure Playground and GoApe – YO18 7LT.
- Sutton Bank Bikes – Thirsk, YO7 2EH. Tel: 01845 597759
- Yorkshire Outdoors, offering 4X4 off-road driving, quad biking and clay pigeon shooting – Thirsk, YO7 2DP. Tel: 01845 537766
- St Alban’s Sports Centre with an indoor swimming pool, a gym and a sports hall – York, North Yorkshire, YO62 4HA. Tel: 01439 766740
- Helmsley outdoor heated swimming pool – Helmsley, YO62 5BH. Tel: 01439 408010
- Kirkbymoorside Golf Course, Malton Golf Course or Ampleforth Golf
- Friars Hill Riding Stables, Helmsley Riding School or Boltby Trekking.
- Racecourse’s are in Thirsk, York, Ripon, Beverley and Wetherby.
- Yorkshire Gliding Club – Thirsk, YO7 2EY. Tel: 01845 597237
North Yorkshire Moors railway – The North Yorkshire Moors Railway is one of the world’s greatest heritage railway experiences. Jump on-board a steam or diesel train and experience 24 miles of Yorkshire’s amazing scenery – Yorkshire at its best.
Pickering Station is a 1930’s themed station that will transport you back in time. You can visit the celebrity station, Goathland, which became Hogsmeade Station in the first Harry Potter film. Visit Whitby with its narrow streets and bustling harbour overlooked by the striking ruins of Whitby Abbey. For the latest travel information, news, events and prices check nymr.co.uk before visiting.
The North Yorkshire Coastline has many a beautiful beaches to experience. These include, Whitby Beach, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby, Sandsend Beach, Whitby, Runswick Bay, Loftus and Staithes Beach, Staithes.